Well, here we are, running a 50k Ultra Marathon. Would you have guessed it? I thought my running days were long gone, now I’m running 3 times a week and I’m in decent shape, not bad for a chap in his mid-’30s.
The idea started around a table, with Martin Wing and his wife Fiona, thanks, guys! That afternoon I’d entered to Race in the Malverns at a distance of 50k, months and months ahead. All is good.
Cut a long story short (documented on my Couch to Ultra Marathon Runner Youtube series, if you are bored!). The training has been done, the race has been cancelled and referred to next year, the ITB injury is gone, now all we need to decide is where and when. Do I decide to sign up for another race or just run the damn thing?
I chose to just run the damn thing. There was some method to my madness, however. I ideally wanted to get the 50k done during May, this would aid my plans for the summer and early Autumn months. Most of the races have been put back to September time and I just couldn’t wait till then to do it! That would have been a year of training!
A few routes had been tossed back and forth, I then decided to head back to my old training ground during Christmas, which was to continue onwards to Bath, along the Cotswolds Way.
With the logistics sorted, head over to the video to SEE how it went…
Below are some details (but not too many details) of my kit and food for the day.
Pre Show Fuel
- Sweet potato burgers and salad, 2 nights before.
- Meatballs and Pasta, the night before. Kept quite light.
- Oats and blueberries in the morning.
- Altra Lone Peak 4.5 & 5’s, swap over if wet at checkpoints.
- 2 x 500ml Soft Flask – Containing Tailwind
- 2-litre Hydration Bladder – Containing Tailwind
- 2 x Montane technical t-shirt
- 2 x Ronhill running shorts
- 3 x Injinji running socks
- Body glide & Vaseline
- Emergency kit (blisters, survival bag etc)
- Spare battery pack
- North Face Hat
- Inov 8 Stormshell
- Fuel – Baby food, bars and sandwiches
- Huel – Berry flavour (3 Scoops)
- Tofu Scramble
- Bottle of Cobra Beer
- Electrolytes and Water (750ml)
Thanks for tuning in.
I am now looking for suggestions on projects/challenges to do in the future and I’d love to hear any you would like me to do.
Please feel free to let me know!
Peace and Love